Wednesday 25 May 2011

The Steel City - Pittsburgh, PA

Now I have had a change of heart with this here blog recently. I have been wittering on too much about what I did here and what I did there. So I have decided I am going to change style. I am going to write more generally about the places I have been and seen, rather than accrediting a year to it and writing what I did that year, then practiaclly repeating myself for the next year. So here goes, I hope you will get it along the way.
So to start I thought I would ease my way into this and talk about one of my favourite places in the world. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania - The Steel City.
Now my love affair with Pittsburgh, the industrial city in the heart of western Pennsylvania, started along side my love affair with America in general. It was the first place I ever visited in the States and I have taken a lot of important things in my life from there.
First of all I have become a massive fan of their sports teams, Steelers, Penguins and Pirates (More of that can be explained here). Also I have extended family living in the Pittsburgh area, who we are quite close with (as close as you can be with an ocean between you), so they have probably helped me grow to the area more. I always have found when travelling that if you know a local, especially one that loves their area, you get a bit further under surface of a place and benefit because of it. Also because of Pittsburgh is a industrial city with a fondness for its sports teams, it reminds me of home. Middlesbrough is much in the same frame of mind, but a tad smaller.
What does Pittsburgh have to offer? Well for me I am always greeted with a party when I get there, which I love. For other party goers the Southside and Station Square have plenty of bars and nightlife for people to fill their boots.
For the sports fan, as I mentioned before, there is one of the most successful American Football teams ever, the Steelers, with their more than impressive Heinz Field right on the banks of the river. Across the way is PNC Park, the home of Major League Baseball's Pirates, and one of the best seats in sports with a great view of the Pittsburgh skyline and the magnifcent golden (its yellow but the like to call it gold) Roberto Clemente bridge. Across town there are the 2009 NHL Stanley Cup champions, Pittsburgh Penguins, playing out of their brand new, and very impressive, Consol Energy Centre.
Also there is a very good old fashioned theme park, Kennywood Park, not only a great value and fun theme park but the set of the film Adventureland staring Jessie Eisenberg.
However, for the horror film fans there is the Monroeville Mall, the setting for the original Dawn of the Dead film. Also because most of the Dead films were filmed in and around Pittsburgh, every year there is Zombie fest, which includes a zombie walk from the Monroeville Mall and various concerts and fun things.
For the foodie, Pittsburgh has many delicate delights for you to munch on. Pierogi are a favourite, best described as cheese and mashed potato inside a big ravioli square, very nice and available in lots of flavours. Also their is the famous Primanti Brothers 'Pittsburgher' which is burger, chips, and coleslaw all in between two slices of thich cut bread. A perfect meal for those of you who love greasy food. The way it is prepared (everything picked up in bare handfuls and dumped on) would those who care about health and hygiene baffled and bewidered. Certainly well worth it though!
As a city, I have spent many a time walking round on my own and I have found it pleasant and have never once felt intimidated. Including when I ended up on the wrong bus and ended up going into Braddock (not the nicest part of town).
For me, as a huge sports fan, an appreciation for industry, and a secret fondness for crap horror films, Pittsburgh is the place for me. If I could live there I would. I couldn't recommend it more. Real people, real city, real America! Exactly what a traveller should look for.

No comments:

Post a Comment