Friday 20 May 2011

2009 - Camp Partridge and The Rest!

Now then on to 2009, which unlike the previous post has been actually written down as this was the first year of my journal. Now as I went over camp in pretty decent detail in the previous post (which is here if you want a look), so in this post I am going to go through the things unique to that period in 2009. As to not repeat myself.

Now once again a disclaimer, partly to cover my back and partly because it amuses me to write them. So I am contractually not obliged to mention the camps name, or anything to do with the camp, because apparently it being associated with me will lower it in the estimations of right-thinking members of the public generally. (Get in NCTJ Law!)
Well it is worth mentioning that before I went there was a surprise party set up in my honour. It was put on by my friend Fi, and had all of my closest friends from home in attendance. I had never had a surprise party before and I was in genuine shock to see all the people there. I was given 2 gifts. One was the lend of a bass guitar from my mate Ste, unfortunately though I couldn't take it. The other was a journal which many of these posts are taken from. That journal is a prized possession of mine and the thing that ignited my passion for pure travel and travel writing.
No after that emotional fairwell and the following flight. I was at camp early enough to start a new chapter of my camp career, that of a counselor.
My first step was to take part in a lifeguard course, and frankly I fell at the first hurdle. I was too ill to complete the course I was diagnosed with 'travellers diarrhea'. To not go into too much detail, its basically shitting blood after travelling.
It wasn't the best of starts, but as it turned out it was a minor hump in what was a fantastic summer. I truly embraced my new role as a counselor, I became a jack of all trades (and as the saying goes a master of none), I also found that I enjoyed looking after kids and generally being paid to have a laugh. Even though the hours were longer and I had more responsibility.
Anyway enough about that, this is a travel blog, so surely I must touch on places I actually travelled from my time in the magical 802 (Vermont's area code).
Well, as mentioned in the previous post, we have a annual trip to Boston at the start of camp. This year the 3 year school bus ride was made infinitely harder the fact that we had a fair amount to drink in a condo the night before. Once we got there it was the standard day of chilling and shopping around the city centre. Where we went to dinner was of note though. We ended up at a place called Dick's, quite a fitting name considering that the waiters and waitresses went out of the way to be, well, dicks. Quite an interesting dining experience when you not expecting it. You are given bibs and your plate is slapped in front you in a hap hazard way, they do make good ribs though.
Next on the travel map was a bit more closer to home, the Warren Falls Independence Day Parade. Yes the locals all gathered out on the day that Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum saved everyone from the aliens. A great little parade in a very intimate setting, we even saw Miss Vermont! A band playing on the balcony of the shop. Genuinely a great day to be alive, even if I was technically celebrating a day in which my country lost.
Now one for the petrol heads, I got the chance to watch some stock car racing at Vermont's very on Thunder Road! This little bowl circuit is based in Barre, Vermont and is incredibly entertaining for those of you who enjoy a bit of loud revving and more than a couple crashes. All for the very reasonably $7. Seriously thoroughly enjoyed it. Definately got to get a chance to see some real Nascar. Yeeeharr!
Also we had the standard trips to Burlington and Montreal along the way. Those two places are fast flying up the list as my favourite places in the world. The relaxed nature of both cities is something I could really get into, but I sometimes do feel that they are made good by the company I have everytime I go to these places.
Then it came to an end, I thought it was my last year (but I would be back again) I then set off into the great unknown. My first genunine hop from place to place travel experience. I was excited. Very excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment