Tuesday 31 May 2011

From Capital to Conn.

Right then I am going to try something a bit cheeky, I will try and get to places in the same post! Outrageous!
Anyway I am going to try to take you through the noble and hard working Washington DC and the slightly more gritty Hartford, Connecticut.

For a start, Washington is a great place to go if you are touring on a less that ideal time limit, or if you pockets are more fluff than coin.
All of the sights you have heard of, the White House, Washington Monument, Capital Hill. Are all within easy walking distance of each other. This means you can get everything done in a day! Fantastic!
So that is exactly what I did, and then I went for a general American experience found pretty much anywhere, Hooters.
Now Hooters is slightly tacky I will admit, however I am male, and I can't help but say I enjoyed it. Anywhere that had sports, beers and girls is alright in my book. Although for those who don't enjoy that, the buffalo chicken wings are seriously excellent. I know that may not be much consolation but thats the best I have got.
Another plus to Washington is the fact that most of its museums are free, and they are actually hugely interesting and entertaining museums. Not just the usual random crap bunged in a room.
I was also lucky enough to experience a taste of the Washington sports culture in the form of its baseball team, the Nationals. Their ballpark is phenominal, a huge stadium will all the lastest technology, it is also very easy to find your way around, and has the amusing Presidents race. It is a shame the team that call it home are not the best, but they are getting there, I am sure they will come good soon.
So on I jumped to Hartford, Connecticut. Now here is the facts, being honest Hartfors is not the nicest looking place in the world. From all accounts the area is a little rough to say the least. If it were me and somebody said "Come and visit Hartford?" Take my advice, say no. However, if you happen to know a bright young thing who goes to Trinity College, say "Yes, yes, yes!"
I was lucky enough to visit a very good friend that goes to the college. I must say the grounds of Trinity are beautiful. Exactly what you would imagine from you favourite American Pie like teen flick. A real diamond in the rough of central Hartford.
A small and exclusive college, not a place for the likes of me, but I couldn't help but be welcomed by the lovely people I stayed with and with the one thing we all had in common, the love of a good drink.
So yeah basically, go to Washington for a weekend, its great. Don't go to Hartford, but if you are passing through make sure you stop at Trinity for a cheeky look, you won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment