Tuesday 18 October 2011

Newcastle, New South Wales - My first taste of Oz!

Now I always seem to start like this on here, but apologies once again for my lack of contemporaneous blogging. This blog always seems to come bottom of the list when it comes to what I need to do. However I am aiming to put that right.
Now to the trip, I shall take you back to September 2010 when I spent a fantastic week in Newcastle, Australia.

Now in all honesty I took a leap of faith on this. As a proud Teessider I would usually steer clear of places named 'Newcastle' as the links to our rival town would be too strong for me to handle. However, in 2008 I became very good friends with a couple of Aussies who came from that neck of the woods, so on my first ever Australian trip, I felt it would be rude not to pop by.
I got off the plane in Sydney and had to work my way through its train system to find my way to Maitland, just outside of Newcastle, which I thought was just over an hour away, it seems I was very wrong.
The train did take in some wonderful scenery as it meandered through the fields and woodland of the state of New South Wales. I fear I couldn't take this all in, as this train didn't have a speaker system, I was having a to look out at the signs of every station worried that I would miss my stop, which, after 17 hours of flying from Los Angeles, was the last thing I wanted to be doing!
When I got there it was worth it. I was greeted by a wonderful bay and cliffs, but coupled with the similar industry I am used to back home.
It really has a lot to offer, considering its a region and a city that doesn't get the same attention as the dominent Sydney.
From the wonderful Hunter Valley region, home of many of Australia's famous wines and the Blue Tongue Brewery, certainly worth going to for those who like a good beer or 6. You can get a palet of 6 tasters, bring that back and you get a free schooner (Schooner - a glass between a half and a pint, perfect for a lunch time beer).
Also there is the haunting and eerie Maitland Jail, a former high security prison that was once home to famous Aussie criminals, such as serial killer Ivan Milat. The audio tour takes you within the cells of Milat and his escape accompliss, George Sawas, who hung himself in his cell. A fantastic but gruesome experience.
I love my sport so Newcastle, as well as being home to rugby league side the Knights, is home of football team the Jets. I was lucky enough to go to a game against Perth Glory, a game they won 2-0, including a goal from Sunderland, Leeds and Carlisle old boy Michael Bridges who fired a superb volley from the edge of the box.
I am so glad I took a punt on Newcastle, fantastic people, fantastic place, I couldn't recommend it more and I thank everyone I met and stayed with in that time.
I will say this Newcastle, Australia is way better than Newcastle, England.

No comments:

Post a Comment